Shaw Hill

History of Shaw Hill

In 1901, the last year of Queen Victoria's long reign, Alum Rock Road Council School was opened on the corner of Anthony Road with accommodation for 1100 pupils.

They were organised in smaller classes of fifty pupils rather than the usual sixty. However, by 1915 the school had become the most over-crowded in Birmingham, and Nansen Road School was quickly built to cater for the extra numbers.

In 1940 during World War 2 the school was hit by a German bomb. The school was overcrowded again by 1953, and extra rooms were provided across the road in St Mary & St John's church hall.

In 1954 the school was renamed Anthony Road County Primary School, and Shaw Hill Primary School c1965. Although altered and modernised most of the original building remains visible. (Currently the school caters for 472 pupils)

Photos from the past

 

1920's (5 images)

Photos from the 1920's.

Created: 24 Apr 14 13:06 | Last modified: 22 Oct 15 11:09

1930's (3 images)

Photos from the 1930's.

Created: 24 Apr 14 13:10 | Last modified: 22 Oct 15 11:09

1940's (4 images)

Photos from the 1940's.

Created: 24 Apr 14 13:15 | Last modified: 22 Oct 15 11:09

1950's (4 images)

Photos from the 1950's.

Created: 24 Apr 14 13:19 | Last modified: 22 Oct 15 11:09

1960's (3 images)

Photos from the 1960's.

Created: 24 Apr 14 13:22 | Last modified: 22 Oct 15 11:09

1970's (10 images)

Photos from the 1970's.

Created: 24 Apr 14 13:23 | Last modified: 22 Oct 15 11:08

1980's (15 images)

Photos from the 1980's.

Created: 24 Apr 14 13:26 | Last modified: 22 Oct 15 11:08

1990's (12 images)

Photos from the 1990's.

Created: 24 Apr 14 13:33 | Last modified: 22 Oct 15 11:08

2000-2009 (11 images)

Photos from 2000-2009.

Created: 24 Apr 14 13:36 | Last modified: 22 Oct 15 11:08

2010-2020 (34 images)

Photos from 2010-2020

Created: 24 Apr 14 13:39 | Last modified: 22 Oct 15 11:08